Orchard CMS 1.7 Features - Orchard Web Developer
Orchard CMS 1.7 features are abundant. If you are a new Orchard Developer or just haven't stayed abreast on what's new in Orchard 1.7, you can read all my Orchard Tutorials on the new Orchard Workflow Module, Media Processing Module, Media Library, new Image Editor, Output Cache Module, and other new features in Orchard 1.7. Stay up to date by subscribing to my RSS, Twitter, and Google+ accounts!
What's New in Orchard CMS 1.7
The best way to learn about the new features in Orchard 1.7 is to read all my Orchard tutorials on Orchard CMS 1.7. Here is a list and there will be more to follow:
- Orchard SSL Module - New in Orchard CMS 1.7.2, the SSL Module in Orchard allows Orchard Website owners to secure various parts of their website using secure sockets layer.
- Developing Custom Workflow Activities for Orchard CMS - I am converting a lot of Orchard Rules for the Orchard Rules Engine to the new Orchard Workflow Module now that Orchard Rules has been depricated in Orchard 1.7. Many of them are client-specific workflow activities, but I thought I would share a couple more general Orchard Workflow Activities: Change Password and Update Profile Workflow Activities for Orchard CMS.
- Orchard 1.7 Upgrade Handles Taxonomies, Content Picker, and Media Library - I upgraded this website to Orchard 1.7 to better understand the upgrade process. The new Orchard 1.7 Upgrade Module will help you migrate your taxonomy module, content picker, and media library to Orchard 1.7.
- Developing Custom Image Filters for Media Processing in Orchard CMS - In-between breaks of converting Rules from the Orchard Rules Engine to the new Workflow Module I have been creating numerous Image Filters for portfolios and photo galleries. I am up to 6 image filters that write text, add noise, convert to black and white, convert to Sepia, rotate, and flip photos.
- Custom Grayscale Image Filter to Convert Color Photos to Black and White in Orchard CMS - Add the Grayscale Image Filter to Media Profiles as part of the Orchard Media Processing Module to convert color photos to black and white in your Orchard CMS portfolios and photo galleries.
- Image Filters and Media Profiles in the Orchard Media Processing Module - In this tutorial I mention how I created a custom Image Filter in Orchard and how to add the filter to Media Profiles as part of the Media Processing Module. I also mention how one can create Media Shapes that can be added to Orchard Views to activate Image Filters without using Media Profiles.
- New Content Definition Menu to Manage Content Types and Content Parts in Orchard CMS - A new Content Definition Menu helps you add, edit, and delete Content Parts and Content Types faster in Orchard as well as makes it easier to manage permissions on that functionality.
- Output Cache Module in Orchard for Better Orchard Performance and Scalability - The old Contrib.Cache Module in the Orchard Gallery has been renamed as the Output Cache Module and added to the Orchard Source Code. The Output Cache Module for Orchard CMS is a must for deployment to help improve the performance and scalability of your Orchard Website.
- Orchard Workflow Module and Creating Custom Workflow Activities - The Orchard Workflow Module is new to Orchard CMS and replaces the Orchard Rules Engine. I mention how to extend and create new workflow activities in the Orchard Workflow Module. In this case, I create a custom Login Activity that allows you to start an Orchard Workflow when a user of a particular role logs into Orchard CMS.
- Run Orchard Recipes from Orchard Dashboard For Productivity and Automation - Orchard Recipes can now be run from the Orchard Dashboard, which should provide a huge productivity and automation benefit for running common tasks. Orchard Recipes in the past were only used during Orchard installation and set-up.
- Media Library and Image Editor in Orchard CMS - The new media library will make it much easier to manage audio, video, and images in an Orchard Website. The built-in Image Editor in Orchard will make it easier to do common image editing tasks like resizing, crop, and execute other image filters.
- Orchard Workflow Module - An introductory look at the new Orchard Workflow Module. The Orchard Workflow Module replaces the Orchard Rules Engine. There is a toolbox of various Workflow Activities and Events that you can drag and connect on the Orchard Workflow Surface. As mentioned, you can extend the Orchard Workflow Module by creating your own Workflow Events and Activities.
- Content Picker Has Content Type Filtering in Orchard CMS - The Content Picker in Orchard CMS is extremely useful for relating content types. Unfortunately when it first came out you could not filter what it picked by Content Types. This caused me to develop a custom Content Picker with Content Type Filtering in Orchard. In Orchard CMS 1.7, the Content Picker now has Content Type Filtering!!!
- Add Custom Shapes to Orchard CMS Menus and Navigation - I have used this Orchard 1.7 feature on several Orchard Websites. Sometimes you just want to inject a Razor Shape into the Orchard Navigation. The new shape link in Orchard CMS 1.7 allows you to do it!
- Content Type Layer Rule in Orchard CMS - Often you want to add a widget to a layer if the Content Type displayed is of a particular type. For example, you may want to add a Related Blog Post Widget when the Content Type being displayed is an Orchard Blog Post. Or maybe you run an Orchard E-Commerce Website and you want to display a sales campaign widget when the Content Type being displayed is a Product. This new Content Type Layer Rule in Orchard 1.7 will allow you to do it.
There are other new features in Orchard CMS 1.7, but these are just the ones I have covered thus far. Check out my other Orchard Tutorials as those features are also available in Orchard CMS.
Stay Up-To-Date on Orchard CMS
I constantly blog, tweet, and mention new features and news about Orchard CMS from my social networking accounts. If you are an Orchard Developer or just an Orchard Enthusiast, please subscribe to my RSS, Twitter, and Google+ accounts!
Orchard CMS has a pretty difficult learning curve, but I have been developing Orchard Modules, Orchard Themes, and Orchard Websites full-time for 3 years as of this blog post. If you need help, please don't hesitate to contact me!