Orchard CMS Website Upgraded to 1.5.1
I hadn't planned on upgrading any of my personal Orchard Websites until Orchard 1.6. However, after upgrading several client websites to Orchard CMS 1.5.1 I figured there is value to being on the latest version to make subsequent Orchard CMS upgrades easier. Therefore, in addition to upgrading DavidHayden.com to Orchard CMS 1.5.1, I also upgraded this Orchard Website to 1.5.1 late last night as well.
Orchard CMS 1.5.1 Tutorials
I don't plan on utilizing any of the new features in Orchard 1.5.1 for this website quite yet, but for those new to Orchard 1.5 I have been blogging a bit about the new features. I have really just scratched the surface, but there will be more Orchard CMS Tutorials to come. Recent tutorials and blog posts related to Orchard 1.5 include:
- How to Add reCaptcha to Custom Forms in Orchard CMS - All Orchard Web Developers will be excited about the new anti-spam features in Orchard CMS, which include reCAPTCHA, spam filtering, and submission limiter. I've only written about reCAPTCHA thus far, but I will be covering the other anti-spam features later!
- Dynamically Injecting Menu Items in Orchard CMS - I still have to get the source code on GitHub, but the new navigation in Orchard CMS is pluggable. In this Orchard Tutorial I discuss how you can create an INavigationFilter that dynamically populates your main menu with tags used as product categories in your Orchard CMS E-Commerce Website. Here is another example of adding product categories into the main menu of your Orchard Store.
- Admin Content Search in Orchard CMS - With the new admin content search feature in Orchard CMS you can now easily search the contents of your Orchard Website from the dashboard, allowing you to easily find and manage content.
- Custom Forms in Orchard CMS and Anonymous Users Permission - I wrote this tutorial for my clients :) I have been using the custom forms functionality in Orchard before it was released as a part of Orchard 1.5, and my clients were having difficulty setting anonymous role permissions on public contact forms. Now that custom forms are a part of Orchard 1.5, I thought everyone would get some value from it!
- Layout Placement Feature in Orchard CMS - Use the new Layout Placement Feature in Orchard CMS to place your shapes in different zones. In this example, I put the page titles in my Orchard CMS E-Commerce Website and Online Store Sample in a different zone than the Content Zone.
Orchard CMS Training
I've had a lot of requests for Orchard CMS Training. Yes, I do offer Orchard Training Classes, but I have taken a break from teaching during the summer. I plan to start back up again in October. I have been upgrading my training material with all the new features in Orchard 1.5.1 and will do so for Orchard 1.6, etc. when it comes out. I am on the bleeding edge of Orchard CMS so those taking my training classes are to ( that is where all the fun is ).
Primarily I have been training larger web development firms, but in October I plan to open classes up to the public. I'll talk more about this in October.
Enjoy Orchard CMS 1.5.1. It has some really nice features!