Orchard Training and Twitter Bootstrap Carousel Module
Twitter Boostrap Orchard CMS Theme
Twitter Boostrap Carousel Module and Custom Orchard Widget
By creating a simple custom Orchard widget to manage and display the Twitter Boostrap Carousel you learn the following and this is just a partial list :)
- Use the code generation tools in Orchard to facilitate Orchard module development.
- Create migration files to create custom content types and add custom Orchard fields to those types in Orchard.
- Add custom admin menus to manage custom content types.
- Create permissions and honor those permissions for authorization on an Orchard website.
- Use Placement.info to override placement of fields and express alternatives.
- Leverage dependency injection in Orchard.
- Develop custom services and inject those services into Orchard using dependency injection.
- Cache results in Orchard using various caching strategies to improve Orchard performance.
- Use various shapes and the shape factory in Orchard to dynamically display shapes on the fly.
- Create re-usable widgets that can be added multiple times on the Orchard Website and leveraged project-to-project.
It's amazing how much you can learn about Orchard CMS from developing a single Orchard widget that can be re-applied in your general Orchard development. And, again, we created a handful of Orchard assets in the Orchard training class that re-inforced these learnings as well as taught other Orchard development skills.
I am going to speak at a few .NET Developer Groups and Code Camps in Florida this year and will be using Twitter Bootstrap and the building of this custom Carousel widget as my example to help other .NET Developers learn Orchard and become interested in being Orchard CMS Developers. I've been developing with Orchard CMS full-time for about 2 years now and love it. I taught around 8 - 10 Orchard CMS classes last year to various development firms and enjoyed that as well. I hope to have another successfull year of Orchard CMS Development in 2013, and I hope all the best for you, too!
For continued series of posts, see: Orchard CMS Training and Developing SEO Meta Tags Module